How to Connect a Client Machine to a License Server
This help article provides instructions on how to allow a Harris Geospatial products to acquire licensing as a client from a license server. Two approaches are available:
Harris Geospatial products can be configured to access Served or Local type licensing. In order for products to access Served licensing, the separately installed Harris FlexNet License Server Service must first be configured on a designated license server machine. The Harris FlexNet License Server Service installer and instructions to install and configure the service may be downloaded by license administrators from the Harris Download and License Center.
The complete contents of the license server installation and configuration guide documents can also be found on the Harris Geospatial Documentation Center at:
This documentation includes sections titled, "Connect a Client to a License Server", which include details for licensing and unlicensing Harris products as clients of a license server. For convenience, this information is summarized below.
Note: The Harris License Administrator graphical user interface (GUI) tool is currently available through an IDL or ENVI product installation. At this time, the Harris License Administrator tool is not provided with the separately downloaded and installed Harris FlexNet License Server product. The License Server product can be installed on the same machine with ENVI or IDL.
To open the Harris License Administrator tool described in this section, use one of the following approaches:
- Windows: From the Start menu, select Tools > Harris License Administrator under the shortcut group for your product installation. Administrator privileges are required.
- Linux: From a terminal window, launch the harrislicense command from the INSTALL_DIR/idlxx/bin directory for IDL installations, or from the INSTALL_DIR/envixx/idlxx/bin directory for ENVI installations. Sudo or root permissions are required.
- Mac: From a Finder window, double-click the LicenseAdminstrator.app icon located under the INSTALL_DIR/idlxx directory for IDL installations, or the INSTALL_DIR/envixx/idlxx directory for ENVI installations. Admin privileges are required.
1. To connect a client to a license server:
- On the client, open the Harris License Administrator tool.
- In the Harris License Administrator tool, click Use License Server.
- In the Server field, enter the server name or IP address.
- In the Port field, enter the TCP/IP port number being used by the license server for communication with license clients. The default port is 7070.
- Click Connect. A message appears when the client successfully connects. To view details on served licenses for the computer, click View Licenses. For more information, see also the View Licenses and Feature Details sections of the license server guides.
- Click Close to exit the tool.
2. To disconnect a client computer from a license server:
- In the Harris License Administrator tool, click Use License Server. The Server and Port number fields populate with the information for the connected license server.
- Click Disconnect, then click Yes to confirm the request to disconnect. A message appears when the client successfully disconnects.
- Click Close to exit the tool.
1. Connect a Client to the License Server
- Create a plain text file that contains a reference to the license server URL. Format the text as follows:
- Save the file with the name "o_licenseserverurl.txt".
- Copy the file to the license subdirectory located under your Harris installation directory.The file should have read privileges for all product users. Examples using the default locations:
Windows: C:\Program Files\Harris\license\o_licenseserverurl.txt
- For instructions about viewing license feature details from the command line, see the View Licenses and Feature Details sections of the license server guides, or see also the following Help Article:
2. Disconnect the Client Connection from the License Server
To manually remove the client computer's connection to the license server, delete the "o_licenseserverurl.txt" file from the license subdirectory located under your Harris installation directory
updated by BC on 8/18/2020